University of Victoria

#8 Principles of Learning and Augmented Reality

According to the study in the previous few weeks, in many learning situations, games are a fast and effective way of learning and very effective. The visualization and interactivity of AR can naturally design very attractive gamified teaching content, which is fun to teach, which significantly enhances students’ willingness to learn, stimulates learning interest, and improves learning effects. Because the content presented by AR is all 3D, it is very vivid, intuitive and vivid, which helps students understand and remember. With the help of AR technology, students’ classroom experience has jumped from 2D to 3D, which is no longer the flat content presented by books or blackboards, but lifelike three-dimensional content. For animals, plants, daily necessities and other three-dimensional objects that are initially visible in reality, students no longer need to brain-complement 3D images from flat 2D images; for radio waves, magnetic fields, atoms, geometry, and other abstract or invisible content, AR can be displayed visually, which helps to improve cognition and understanding. I downloaded the APP: Plantale on my iPhone. So this app can visually observe the complex structure of plants. It can also follow the life course of the plant, observe the different stages of germination, and understand the best growth conditions for the virtual plant. I think AR education is not only suitable for mathematics, physics and biochemistry that require spatial thinking, imagination and practical skills, but also for historical geography with a large amount of visual content.

1. zhiwenzheng

Hi Yiyang, thank you for the post. I agree with your idea of the game is a fast and effective way of learning. I personally think that AR and VR will benefit the area of teaching & learning a lot. Students will be motivated to study because AR and VR have so many functions to explore, and instructors will be able to build more on their teaching content with AR and VR technologies. Moreover, I think it will be beneficial if you add some multimedia elements to your post to make it informative.