University of Victoria

#6 Models for Media Selection & Working With Video

The practice this week is to edit the video. I use iMovie because I use an Apple laptop. I have attached the video below on this page. First, I added the beginning and some subtitles to the video. In the middle, I divided the video into five segments and added a transition every 20 seconds. I turned off the volume at the end. Finally, I also faded the image before each change to black and white. I found that once I started customizing the video myself, it was really interesting. And once the video and teaching are linked together, the issues that need to be considered to refer to the two models learned this week: the TPACK model and the SECTIONS model. When faced with different learning goals and audiences, the SECTIONS model can help evaluate different technologies to achieve different learning goals. Therefore, the use of models requires a specific analysis of specific issues.

Regarding the difference between SMAR and TPACK, I think the biggest thing is that their layers are different. Sometimes I think there are too many layers in SMAR, and I will forget the previous ones. But TPACK mainly surrounds the three sections in the circle. Regarding the model of SECTIONS of selecting technology or media, I think it is very practical. Because my past teachers, whether they choose multimedia or video, I think they have taken into account the students’ learning goals, the ease of use of the media, the cost, and the safety.

1. zhiwenzheng

Hi Yiyang, thanks for your post. I think you did a good job of describing the differences between SMAR and TPACK, as well as the video that you edited. Sometimes SAMR can be too many layers, but TPACK on the other hand is pretty clear with the main three sections in the circle. I personally enjoyed the video editing this week as well as you do, and the TPACK model can be very useful when it comes to different learning goals and audiences. Moreover, I wonder if you could add some references to your blog to support more on your point.

2. rickytsang

Hi Yiyang. Thank you for your post. I think your experiment in video editing is very interesting. I also like the video editing teaching this week. You have done a good job describing the difference between SMAR and TPACK. I also agree with your point of view. Whenever teachers choose multimedia or video as teaching materials, they will take into account the students’ learning goals, the ease of use, cost, and safety of the media.