University of Victoria

#3 How to Write a Summary

It is interesting and meaningful to use different types of designs for multimedia objects this week. Below is a poster that I use Canva to design and layout in accordance with the principles of multimedia learning.

The content is to let students know at a glance how to write a summary when doing academic writing. I believe this is an effective infographic, using charts and graphs to show writing tips. Not only that, the poster template helps me quickly create objects that conform to the principles of multimedia learning and related theories. When making this type of poster, the uniformity of the font and the eye-catching headline are both important. Instructional design can be defined as the practice of creating a teaching experience to help promote learning most effectively (Anderson, et al., 2008). These steps involve the instructional design process. These models can help us plan the entire process. The design process is actually a combination of learning and teaching. The purpose of creating a poster is to hope that students can understand the method of writing a summary in the most intuitive poster.

Anderson, J. M., Aylor, M. E., & Leonard, D. T. (2008). Instructional design dogma:   creating planned learning experiences in simulation. Journal of Critical   Care23(4), 595-602.

1. zhiwenzheng

Hi Yiyang, I agree with your thought of poster templates can help students quickly create objects that conform to multimedia learning principles and related theories and the importance of consistency of font and eye-catching headings because the neat format and font make it easier for learners to understand the main points in the poster. At the same time, the purpose of the poster is that students can understand the method of writing a summary in the most intuitive poster. On the other hand, I wonder if you could add more details like images or a video about how to make an effective poster? Thank you.

2. shufenwei

Hi Yiyang:

Thanks for sharing your poster with us! It’s very nice! I like the bullet point that you listed and the quotation that you found. When I was trying to do some instructional design for my English class, I can totally feel that my class is more organized and the content that I am going to teach much clear than before. Because during this process, I am learning how to organize the important points as well. Therefore, my teaching experiences also gained with practice over and over again.

Shufen Wei (Andy Wei)